03 October 2011

Updayte: donuts!

I don't have a life anymore.
There is a piece of celery in a bowl of water in our fridge with some peanut butter, buttermilk, almost empty jam, and some milk. And pumpkin puree. Maybe I can make a smoothie with the milk and half banana that's in the freezer and the pumpkin and peanut butter. Or I could go shopping.

OR BOTH??

Anyway, I don't have anything to tell you about food I make unless you want to hear more about oatmeal.
You do?

Ok, here's what NOT to do. Or what to do but better. But lemon juice pepper and salt in. Add sliced cherry tomatoes. That's almost what I did, but yours will taste better.



And NEVER try to combine apple cider and pesto. Maybe apple cider vinegar, but that was the worst thing I've ever done to pasta.



I guess I could tell you about cider donuts. Yeah,  CIDER DONUTS!
Those are something for any New Englander to be emotional about. It's funny because the blog from which I obtained the recipe talked about how they're not that satisfying, but it just feels so good to eat them because it feels right, seasonally and traditionally. Like keeping a dead tree in your living room for a month that you know is going to make everything sticky and dirty and the cat might tear it down. But you do anyway because that's what you did as a kid. Here's the recipe. Half it, cop. You don't need that many.



1 C cider
3.5 C flour
2 t bp
1 t bs
.5 t cinnamon, salt, nutmeg
4 T room temp butter
1 C sugar
2 eggs
.5 C buttermilk

reduce the cider, combine the wet/dry ingredients separately, and pour the dry into the wet.
Shape the donuts on a floury surface; I liked making braids with mine.
You're going to have to get some oil hot, but I'd say warm. It works better to leave the donuts in longer at a lower temp; they get better color. If you can figure out how to get them to stay together, lemme know. Maybe bake them first? People in Boulder don't eat donuts, so these are the best you'll find around. Rub them in cinnamon sugar and eat warm.

Next time: the BEST pork chop you've ever had! If I remember to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment