07 July 2011

A Bloody Mary in the Shape of a Steak Salad



I'm under twenty one. There I said it. And I think that's why I'm particularly drawn to recipes with alcohol or alcoholic inspiration, because it gives me an excuse or makes it seem ok to my folks. Last time it was when we made a guinness chocolate cake. (The pictures were kidnapped!?)

Anyways this time Bloody Marys. In the shape of a steak salad....

I'm gunna go ahead and say don't try and make this in the dorms. It's more for the occasion of your parents paying for your groceries for most likely the last month of your life. So I'm milking this for all that it's worth.

Now, steak isn't that photogenic, and my food photography skills are still maturing, so I'll have to describe this to you with my superfluous vocabulary.

OK! Steak! Cowsies cowsies.....
Since I'm dumb and don't know the hierarchy of the butchery of a cow,
I got skirt steak. You should not. It's hard to chew (But is uber cheap)

Anyways for the steak!
salt to taste
4 teaspoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Rub all over steak and let marinate in the fridge for three hours.

That was enough time for me to run three miles, stop by the bike shop, go to the bank, go to the grocery store and then drive home in a flash flood of a rainstorm.

Now for the bloody mary part!

1 cup finely chopped red onion
3 tablespoons Sherry vinegar
2 pounds cherry tomatoes (I used a pack of golden and a pack of red for diversity)
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped brined green olives plus 2 tablespoons olive brine
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Stir veggies
Stir sauceish things in another bowl
Mix together
Put over a bed of salad

Now grill your steak for 4 minutes on each side on high.
Yeah that's right this girl used her dad's grill.
Bring it back inside slice it all pretty
Put it on top of the salad.

Now play some Regina Spektor and make your family pretend like they're at a restaurant. Dad grabs a Fat Tire which is a real compliment.

I could totally run a restaurant if it only served four people and had a set menu.



Smile.cows.summer.bloodymary.dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment