08 May 2011

What happened to your eyes Miss? Did you get mutant genes or something?



My mom has a blue eye and a brown eye.
Someone used that verbatim to ask her why.

Sorry we've left you hanging, but I can just taste the excitement that this summer will bring!

Oops that was corny.

Alright. Can we make an agreement? (Darjeeling Limited - watch it) I need to get professional in my personal and blog lives, at least a little bit. So Dormet will be evolving a little bit. I'll try to be more clear in how to make the things I brag about. And use roman numerals so you lazy readers/busy people can skip thoughts quick and easy just like the internet.

I. Cinco de Mayo
Fajitas:
Tortilla
Cheese
Salsa (tomatoes, onion, peppers are good base ingredients)
Chicken (always buy good meat* and marinate it with spices and garlic and olive oil)

* I got way intimate with some chickens at work the other day - my coworker showed me how to tie them for rotisserie, and you have to get pretty handsy with something that feels very much like a baby or a puppy. Then you stick a large piece of metal through its body cavity (AP Bio kids?! coelom?!) and watch it roast.

II. Pizza Night
Here's how to make dough:
3/4 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F)
1 envelope active dry yeast

2 cups (or more) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil

Pour 3/4 cup warm water into small bowl; stir in yeast. Let stand until yeast dissolves, about 5 minutes.

Brush large bowl lightly with olive oil. Mix 2 cups flour, sugar, and salt in processor. Add yeast mixture and 3 tablespoons oil; process until dough forms a sticky ball. Transfer to lightly floured surface. KNEAD dough until smooth, adding more flour by tablespoonfuls if dough is very sticky, about 1 minute. Transfer to prepared bowl; turn dough in bowl to coat with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 hour. PUNCH down dough. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Store in airtight container in refrigerator. ROLL out dough according to recipe instructions. (Start in center of dough, working outward toward edges but not rolling over them.)


I guarantee you success. Serve with beer on your roof at sunset. You should make a pineapple mint pizza, a spinach feta one, and a sauteed veggie-bacon-steak one. Your cool friends will like you. Get gelato at the Argentinian place in the hood as a nice follow up.

III. Breakfast sandwiches
Bacon
Eggs
Croissants
Cheese
Funky potatoes

Eat these after the Homerun for the Homeless 5K - you get to run the diamond at Coors Field, where walk great men like Tulowitzki....

Dexter Fowler....
Swoon!





And.....
Michelle Obama!
Apparently she was supporting children of military families on April 15th. I wish I had been there for that. I touched some grass running today though that maybe she touched too.

Speaking of which - my mom did her first 5K today! Woo! Prouda youuuu!

IV.
Salsa makes good pasta sauce when you heat it in a saucepan.

IV.5
Confused about mojitos? Let me help.
Crush some mint and sugar in the bottom of a glass.
Add a litttttle bit of coconut rum.
4 ice cubes.
Fill to 1 finger away from the top with club soda.

V.
Braise brats in 1554 and serve with lemon salad.
German chocolate brownie cake from The Market makes a good dessert to compliment German sausage. Have a cup of black tea - no milk or sugar - with dessert.

After that kind of weekend, your body will be saturated with good nutrients and you'll feel great - especially after a day in the sun at the park with Merritt and Sabina and Emily playing frisbee and slackline and yoga and gymnastics! (Boulder I did miss you a little)

Let me end with 2 case studies of why I like Denver.

A) I saw a skinhead walking around with a gross nasty rat with a long pink tail on his shoulder climbing around his neck. Disgusting.

B) A homeless chick stopped me on the street the other day to ask for change, and when I said I had none, she said, Where yo famly at?! They lef you BROKE out here ina BLACK neighborhood? Bring some cussin change next time!!
But then some guys at the bar said, "Hey!" But I didn't notice, so they proceded with "Thats alright, just keep walking, good talk." I noticed when one said "I like your bag!" I did the turn around and smile. Its a good move because it shows acknowledgement but doesn't mean anything. Denver is so cool. Do I have to graduate or can I just stay here for the rest of my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment