05 April 2011

BASEBALL!! AMERICA!!! MEAT!!




Wow what a weekend! There's a reason it took me until now to catch you up on it. Now, 6 bus rides and several caffeine trips later, I am ready to talk about it. But first: newest from my friend Chris back home:




Bryn and I caught the bus down on Friday for the Rockies' opening game against the Diamondbacks. They lost by 1 in the 11th inning. Or so I heard, I left to go meet Bryn in the midst of the Denver sidewalks bumping with life, energy, food, and beer.
We ate an entire lunch of brats. So worth it.






We had the first of several memorable interactions that went like this:

Tall skinny dude with glasses under his sunglasses: Hey ladies, do you have a lighter?
Me: No but I have matches!!!
Dude: Don't you need them?
Me: Nope, they're yours.
Dude: You don't smoke.... anything?!
Me: No, we do triathlon so we can't! Don't worry about it!
Bryn: Yeah. We like our lungs.






We all met up for dinner at Euclid Hall. Bryn and I people watched for half an hour first, and while waiting for a table my mom decided to talk to EVERYONE about EVERYTHING, including....




Chef de Cuisine Jorel Pierce!






I knew she was going to do that. Despite my declared love for him for 4 months now, she deliberately did EXACTLY the opposite of what I wanted by dragging us over to meet him. RIGHT after my dad pointed out his wedding ring and crushed my hopes. I just kind of stared and smiled and nodded, and tried to think of something intelligent to say. It didn't happen.






Obviously we ate well: we learned about mussels and oysters and chicken and waffles and that Euclid Hall "is rumoured to have been" (that means once was) a brothel. Cool! There was also a lot of good beer that went around that because of our weird uppity highstrung country won't allow us to simultaneously drink and vote and kill we couldn't try.

That's ok. Shaking hands with Jorel Pierce was worth it.

We dropped Bryn off at the bus stop with a guy who looked at us and shouted BOULDER! THE BEST PLACE IN THE WORLD!!

Saturday my VT friend Brook came up to check out this fine institution so we dragged him up a mountain to the Royal Arch and ate Cheba Hut. Cheba Hut = better than Firehouse Subs. I can say that now because I don't work there anymore. My new job, which I'm not going to tell you about online because that would be unprofessional, is going to be AWESOME. They gave each of us a copy of Rebecca Wood's Whole Foods Encyclopedia, which I've already started to mark up.


On the hike I ran into my philosophy professor from last semester. And most of his colleagues, except the one they told me I should meet because I told them I wanted to study abroad. (Which one?! A TA asked. Ha...) His name is Ajume Wingo. My professor also told me that he is now dating an older student who was in my class. That's Boulder.

Ok, I know you're waiting patiently for something dormet. Here you go: I thought everyone had this experience when they were little, but apparently I'm self-centered or something. Check it out.
Grilled PB&J
make it like usual. (you can get all this stuff)
butter the outsides.
grill that sorry sandwich, because you're about to devour it. Best cut into triangles on a rainy day, eaten infront of a good movie, with a juice glass of milk. Maybe put some nachos with it. Or grapes.

My mom made a phenomenal breakfast on Saturday - maybe she'd like to post about the pancakes? Hands down best ever. Real maple syrup, brown sugar bacon (my uncle brought 7 pounds) and a birthday donut for my dad.




Sunday brought hail and rain, so we went to Devil's Food near Wash Park in Denver. Fate lined up, because they had coco nib cookies, which I made that afternoon. With help. I actually just got out the ingredients. These are my mom's brain child.

INGREDIENTS

1 cup of butter
3/4 cup of brown sugar
3/4 cup of white granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 1/2 teaspoons of heavy cream
1 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
¼-1/2 teaspoon on cayenne
3/4 cup of cocoa nibs
Zest of one large lime

METHOD

1 Preheat the oven to 350°F. Beat the butter and sugars together for about two minutes at medium speed or until well incorporated and light in color. Add the egg, cream, and vanilla extract until well incorporated, about a minute. Be sure to scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl halfway through.
2 Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder. Add to the butter mixture slowly, and beating at medium speed, stopping once all of it is incorporated (do not overmix). Fold in the cocoa nibs and lime zest.
3 Take small spoonfuls of the dough and roll into one inch sized balls and place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 12 minutes. Let cool on the pan for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.


They're a delicious alternative, because honestly, I eat enough cookies that chocolate chip gets boring, and oatmeal raisin gets real dull. And you'll always impress.

Almost done. One more review.
iFish in Denver: the manager looked like he just rolled out of bed, it felt like everyone was waiting for us to leave, I was being a brat, and the sushi kept falling apart. Mochi was good, but everyone's eating it now. Whatever. BUT I have a strong broiling desire to make rice flour pork buns. Just wait til summer.

LASTLY! CONTEST! Leave us a comment (as a follower - it takes like 2 seconds and you don't even need an account) and guess what this is! We'll send something your way if you get it right.







Oh, and I figured out what that Friday stuff was about.

6 comments:

  1. Let's have a communal pancake breakfast for the winner. I will then share the pancaker recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's see... Strawberry, banana, and some other additional fruits blended together in a smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going for the end of a root beer float .... maybe that's because I want one ... oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hint~ It is NOT as good as it looks!

    ReplyDelete